Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The "Gard-nen"

This "gard-nen" is what Bailey calls our raised bed vegetable garden. She likes to go outside with us and water the garden, the dirt, the weeds, whatever. She also loves eating the ONE strawberry we get a day from our strawberry plants. If I let her pull more, even the ones that are still white, she would be a happy camper. Here's a few pictures that celebrate the harvest (even if it's not from our garden):

Bailey has taken a liking to corn on the cob. I suppose we could say that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, as I am a huge corn on the cob fan. Just give me two ears of corn and some butter and salt, and dinner is just fine for me. This, unfortunately, didn't come from our garden. We are hoping to plant corn next year though, and then we can eat all the corn we want come August.
And below is a picture of Bailey and a beautiful, big zucchini. This will taste great in bread this winter. Yummy!

I love the fact that she likes to garden with us. She has even started "making dinner" by playing in the dirt. In fact, here's a recent conversation I had with her about her dinner making escapade:

Me: Bailey, whatcha doing? (She is taking small handfuls of dry dirt from a pile and placing them on the cottage brick in our front yard)
B: Making dinner.
Me: Wow! What are you making?
B: Pause..."Strawberries."
Me: Really? Nice! What else are you making?
B: Peanuts.
Me: "Interesting." A while later, I ask, "What else are you making?"
Bailey says matter of factly, "Meat." I couldn't contain myself. I was giggling after each new dinner ingredient, but after the "meat" statement, I burst out laughing hysterically.

So Bailey's making a dinner of strawberries, peanuts and meat. Not the delicious homemade bread I used to make every Saturday in the spring. Not cookies, toast, cereal, anything that can be "made". She is making things that grow in the ground or on the ribs of an animal. I don't quite understand my child, but she sure does make me laugh.

Tonight, we are having friends and family over for dinner and we are planning on eating fresh green beans and a green salad from the garden (plus more corn on the cob and barbecued chicken). Should be a great night.

No comments: